In the Spring of 2011 Salem Youth Baseball brought Little League’s Challenger Division to the Salem Community. This program is open to the Salem Community and nearby communities. The Challenger Division was established by Little League to allow children of all abilities to play baseball. Challenger Baseball specifically sets out to adapt the game of baseball so that children with special needs may have the ability to play “America’s Pastime”.
Check out our video from last season by clicking the link below:
• Challenger Baseball is a division of baseball designed by Little League which allows children ages ages 4-18, or up to age 22 if still enrolled in high school who may have some type of special need the ability to participate in the game of baseball.
• Recreational Sports/Baseball is a great method to improve the physical and emotional well being of children involved. Playing the physical game of baseball can improve motor control. The concept of teamwork can improve social play and using the rules of baseball can help with following directions and rules.
• All players will be assigned a “buddy” (not required if parent or guardian requests) to assist the player on the field. These “buddies” will be assigned for the entire season. It is our hope that a bond will form between the buddies and the players (and their families) to help enrich those involved.
• Teams can be 15-20 players and are designed by player’s abilities.
• The Challenger Division uses the same uniforms and equipment as Salem Youth Baseball.
• All players play the entire game and have an opportunity to bat each inning.
• Player’s (with the guidance of coaching) can choose to hit from the Tee, coach pitched or player pitched.
• Games are typically 3 innings approximately 90 minutes and are played on Bergeron Field at Michele Park.
If you would like more information regarding the division including:
• volunteering including being a “buddy”
• Sponsoring or donating
Salem Youth Baseball VP call or text:603-818-1015